ICY PROFITS

THE WORLD OF ITALIAN ICE VENDORS

Forums

Forum Home > Ice Makers Forum (members who make their own) > Trying to make my own...need some advice

HolyCityIce

Can someone please let me know their experience with making their own ice? I am buying the Emory Thompson CB 350. I have created recipes that work great in my cuisinart and now will try to extraoploate those recipes into larger batches. I want an all natural product so I have only used fresh fruit, water and sugar so far. I'm thinking a more econonomical way to go is to supplement all natural extract with the fresh fuit but I do not know how much to use. In addition, I do not know if I need to add citric acid and a stabilizer. Does anyone have any experience with these products and can you please tell me if based on your expereience, are they necessary? Also, how important is color to your customers? I would like to keep the product natural but that might mean that cherry is not a bright red color. Not sure if the kids will care....

Thank you!

February 9, 2016 at 12:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

J's Italian Ice

Hello Holy City Ice,

I just recently purchased the CB-200 about a month ago for the same reason. I want to produce a more all natural Italian Ice with real fruit! I was selling Moustache Mike's out here in Southern California. He pretty much controls the market, but his stuff his packed with High Fructose Corn Syrup, and bunch of additives and preservatives. I was serving with a smile on my face, but deep down felt like I was doing a disservice to the people and Italian Ice!  So far, I have made Mango, Pineapple, Lemon, Chocolate, Strawberry. I puree the fruit or find 100% juices, not from concentrate. I also add fruit pieces while the batch the freezer is producing. That is the cool part about an Emery Thompson. I encourage you to request samples of extracts from Green Mountain Flavors and Weber Flavors. Weber is all natural but has food coloring in it, where green mountain's flavors are colorless. I still have a lot to learn and experiment with. If anyone is kind enough to share their recipes, I would love the help!

February 11, 2016 at 2:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mita's Italian Ice

Weber also has no color added and no artificial flavor options.

--

Mita's Italian Ice

www.MitasItalianIce.com

Real Food, Real Fruit, Real Creamy

503-475-6695

February 11, 2016 at 2:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

HolyCityIce

Hi J's. Thank you for the info. I too have been trying to make an all natural product. I have been using green mountain flavors but have not been able to produce great flavored ice except for lemon. Are you happy with the recipes that you have created so far? I originally started with only puréed fresh fruit, sugar and water. While the recipes were delicious, they were not cost effective especially when certain fruits are out of season. Creating a recipe with only natural flavors using natural flavor systems is much more difficult than I anticipated. Do you have any advice to offer or are you running into the same issue? Thanks!

February 17, 2016 at 4:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Lilly
Site Owner

To comment on kids caring about the color... I use a more natural product than Mustache or Via, and the red is not as vibrant.  It's the parents (paying) who care!  The kids just like the taste.  And I even have more customers asking about color additives/dyes because of allergies - they are looking for Italian Ice without dyes.  Not sure if you have the same demographic of customers.  The playing field is changing.  Sugar-free is also growing.

--

March 3, 2016 at 7:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

zenos ice
You will have to use a combination of flavors and fruit to get a really good fla vor. Buy fresh frozen fruit to make your puree. There is also a company out of Washington state that sells fruit puree. To aid scoop ability you can add dextrose to your mix.
March 26, 2016 at 12:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

KI

HolyCity,

What type of cuisinart were you using to test flavors (was it the 1 1/2 qt Ice Cream maker)?  And did the recipes transfer well?  

I'm curious to know because I'd like to try out recipes before I start my journey.  Thanks!

November 28, 2016 at 1:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rita
Hi I'm so excited!! Our "production room" for making Italian Ice is coming together. I'm needing info about suppliers for bases and flavors. Please tell me your all suggestions and why. Has anyone tried IRice company? ANY help would be greatly appreciated Thank you. Rita
November 29, 2016 at 12:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mita's Italian Ice

As simple as it may appear to make Italian Ice, getting the exact right ratios is important. We have been making realf fruit, no corn syrup ice since we started. I can agree, the population is changing, asking for more real ingredients and less artificial stuff.

You will find that no one supplier will provide the best flavors for ice. It takes sampling and trying different companies to establish which one of each flavor you like best. IRIce has been a "stardard" in the marketplace and had a large portion of the market for decades. If you are looking for natural colors and ingredients, unless they have changed in the past 6 months, you may not find that they will fit your needs. Though I have heard that they are changing some of their formulas to make them more consumer friendly, so it may be worth looking into.

In a related idea, if you are interested in making product onsite, but don't care to have to formulate recipes, we would like to hear from people that may be interested in using "concentrates". They would be our recipes complete with all ingredients including fruit, without the extra water. You would reconstitute, and put in your own batch freezer. Fesh, on demand Italian Ice, with real fruit, no corn syrup, Most wih no artificial colors or flavors (even our Blue Raspberry is now natural color and flavor Ice). I am hoping to make this avilable this coming season, so if you are interested, you can PM me.

--

Mita's Italian Ice

www.MitasItalianIce.com

503-475-6695

December 3, 2016 at 2:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ken Bruce

I have been testing and making my own for about 2 months now...in a 12 quart batch freezer.  It seems to come out "soft" for me..not like some other ice's I have tried...am I keeping in batch freezer too long?  producing too much air in product?

April 11, 2017 at 10:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rita

HI Ken,  We have an ET 6 qt.  Been testing now for about 3 months...are you using any stabilizer?  We didn't know about that for a long time..and apparently it depends on which kind you use.  Even after you freeze it, it still is "soft?"  

April 12, 2017 at 12:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ken Bruce

I do use 6 oz of liquid stabilizer in a 3 gallon mix.  

April 15, 2017 at 8:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Kimberly
I recently bought an Emery Thompson CB200. I use iRice base and stabilleeze. My Italian ice melts fast at an event. Please help. What am I doing wrong?
October 23, 2017 at 11:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mita's Italian Ice

I have not used stabilize, and am not familiar with what is in it. Are there ingredients on the bottle? Typically, along with other ingredients,  adjusting the amount of sugar in your recipe will have an effect on the softness.

I don't see any recipes, so I will offer general advise: Try reducing the amount of sugar. Start with a 10% reduction and see what happens. 

--

Mita's Italian Ice

www.MitasItalianIce.com

503-475-6695

October 29, 2017 at 4:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

zenos ice
It maybe your storage freezer is not as cold as you think it is (should be at zero or colder) what are you serving out of? The type of cart can make huge difference in how it keeps ice.
--

A creamy sweet taste of deliciousness in every bite

February 12, 2018 at 1:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.