ICY PROFITS

THE WORLD OF ITALIAN ICE VENDORS

Forums

Forum Home > Selling Locations > Delivery service for Italian Ice

iceman

Has anyone tried delivering scooped italian ice servings, or even larger quantities like had dipped pints, quarts etc.  Been playing around and can use a 8 oz Styrofoam cup and it will maintain for about 30 to 45 minutes.  Use an 8 oz up almost to top then 3.5 oz cup as a toping and it slide in the 8 oz cup.  Delivery would be to limited area and thought the market would be office buildings during work?   You would have to have a minimal delivery amount.  Any thoughts and feedback would be appreciated.

--
July 23, 2017 at 4:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mita's Italian Ice

Just wondering why you would want to do this? Do you have inquiries for ice servings that want you to deliver? 

How many per location?

Coud this be cost effective if it's not alot?

--

Mita's Italian Ice

www.MitasItalianIce.com

Real Food, Real Fruit, Real Creamy

503-475-6695

July 26, 2017 at 12:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

iceman

Yes Pat thought about all that.  Having a hard time finding a location for my trailer on a permanent basis.  Finding labor is another draw back.  When ever I go to lunches in our area we get a line.  Maybe that is what I should concentrat on rather than delivery.  Delivery would be in a fixed area not far from my location. We currently sell for $4.00, thought we would have a minmum cost of 20.00?  may not be cost effective.  Just thought i would put it out there.

August 6, 2017 at 5:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SummerSnow2Go

There is a guy in st.louis that sells mustache mikes Italian ice and he offers free delivery with a minimum order due to him not having a permanent location and he said he does really well with it. You may try to look him up on Facebook or instagram. I have considered adding delivery to my current location also, maybe next year I will test it out and see. Good luck! Let me know how it does for you if you try it

August 7, 2017 at 7:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

anniepeachie

I've been selling "Party Packs" where I put a nice blue scoop in a 4 oz. container with a clear lid and label on top, and include spoons and napkins, of course.  I have larger bowls but parents prefer the smaller ones for kid's birthday parties.  I charge roughly $1.25 a cup which includes a packaging surcharge.  I deliver in big cooler bags that I occasionally lend and pick-up. Everyone loves it and the parents find it's super convenient for them.

September 15, 2017 at 12:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rok

Iceman I say whatever will work for you do it. You'll never know unless you try different things, so go for it. 

October 11, 2017 at 12:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mita's Italian Ice

anniepeachie at September 15, 2017 at 12:24 AM

I've been selling "Party Packs" where I put a nice blue scoop in a 4 oz. container with a clear lid and label on top, and include spoons and napkins, of course.  I have larger bowls but parents prefer the smaller ones for kid's birthday parties.  I charge roughly $1.25 a cup which includes a packaging surcharge.  I deliver in big cooler bags that I occasionally lend and pick-up. Everyone loves it and the parents find it's super convenient for them.

Annie,  Do you have a minimum sales charge for this? Does $1.25 cover all expenses? Delivery, cups, labor,  overhead. It seems rather low. Just wondering how much different costs can be in other parts of the country. 

--

Mita's Italian Ice

www.MitasItalianIce.com

503-475-6695

October 16, 2017 at 11:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

zenos ice
Annie, I would have to I think you need to look at your costs. If you're using real fruit I'm sure you're not making a very large margin at that price. My cost per serving one I include the spoon and cup is approx. 65 cents for a 10 ounce serving.
--

A creamy sweet taste of deliciousness in every bite

October 29, 2017 at 11:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mita's Italian Ice

Zeno, Is that including all cosr if goods i.e. tub cost, labor, overhead (including insurance, license fees, etc.) as well as depreciation (or payments) of your batch freezer? True COG includes all expenses necessary to produce a product. 

It's hard to compare costs here without knowing what is involved. Recipes vary, as well as cst of living in various parts of the country, so there will be no "standard" cost of goods. But to be on the same page, all things should be included.

I figure our CoGs to our clients are .116 per ounce. The client then would figure in their own overhead to determine their COGs. 

Sorry to have led the conversation stray from the topic. If anyone would like to expand on this discussion, we can start a new thread.

--

Mita's Italian Ice

www.MitasItalianIce.com

503-475-6695

October 30, 2017 at 2:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lilly
Site Owner

Iceman, I offered that kind of service for a while.  Ended up with one regular, residential customer, but he bought a lot at a time and would store in his  freezer for personal use for backyard parties and such.  I found that offering it to businesses or any other place, like schools, however quickly kicked me out of my best line of business.  They'd buy from me, and I'd deliver.  But they would make the bulk of the profit by turning around and selling/scooping it themselves whether to their employees or students.

Also, the lunch idea was happening all around Philly by a group of food trucks who would get together and sell at office parks.  They worked as a group and marketed to the office park businesses ahead of time, not just showing up. Huge hit. They rotated parks, different ones each day of week. I'd think you'd be great for that.  Most of the trucks that did it there were savory (tacos, bbq, hotdog), but no dessert trucks.  And people like taking that sweet treat back in the office after lunch.  Give that a hard push next season.

AnniePeachie, great idea!  I would probably have to chime in and ask if you could raise that price, though.  Gotta factor in gas for deliveries, too. It's going up again!

--

November 12, 2017 at 6:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.